Kenya's 1st Presidential Debate
Kenya made history on 11th March 2013 by holding its first ever Presidential Debate. The debate was held at Brookehouse School and all the presidential aspirants were present.
The candidates are namely :
- Peter Kenneth - EAGLE Alliance
- Uhuru Kenyatta - TNA (JUBILEE Coalition)
- Raila Odinga - ODM (CORD Coalition)
- Martha Karua - NARC KENYA
- Wycliffe Musalia Mudavadi - AMANI Coalition
- James ole Kiyiapi - Restore and Build Kenya
- Paul Muite - Safina Party
- Mohammed Abduda Dida - Alliance for Real Change
The debate was nearly stalled when two candidates (Paul Muite & Mohammed Abduda Dida) who were left out in the debate list took to court to complain about their exclusion. The court granted them an injunction to stop the debate unless they were included.
The debate was hosted by Linus Kaikai (NTV) and Julie Gichuru (Citizen Tv), and was broadcasted across all television and radio stations in Kenya, streamed live online. The event kicked off at 6.30 pm with the arrival of the candidates and question asked from around 7.30 pm. Issues tackled were Education, Impunity, Tribalism, ICC cases, Health provision, Misuse of public funds, Funding of projects, Security
The heat was mostly on Raila Odinga and Uhuru Kenyatta who have always been labelled along tribal rivalry lines and the ICC cases.
A second debate is slated for 25th Feb 2013.